Friday, October 18, 2013

The Witching Hour--October Limited Edition Kit

Welcome, friends!! Today I have another spooky project for you using the October Limited Edition Kit. For this project I used the 5 x 7 canvas board, ephemera, Lindy's sprays and Magicals, and the Dylusions stamps. Let's get started!

To begin, I laid down a background of the Lindy's Magicals combined with the spray ink. I also worked in a bit of the Viva Decor Glitter paste because I just can't get enough of that stuff!



I wanted to create a quirky, funky little Halloween house so I de-constructed the viewfinder and it's envelope. I cut the envelope into a house shape, and the stamp sheet into a roof. I cut up the viewfinder and tried to use the little negatives as windows, but they wouldn't stick so I ended up using the frames they were housed in instead. I also cut the club off of the playing card and stuck it on top like a weather vane. Then, I used one of the Dylusions border stamps to create a little eave to attach under the roof. I also attached one of the bingo pieces on the front door.



At this point I thought the bingo piece didn't really fit in too much so I painted it with the Lindy's. I also added some rub ons and stamping to the piece, as well as an older Tim Holtz sticker that I had in my stash.



This piece sat for a couple of weeks like it is. I wasn't totally happy with it, but couldn't figure out what was wrong. I just knew that it felt "off" somehow. So I gave it some thought. In the meantime I added some white Magicals because I thought I would be adding something else to it and wanted to lighten up the background a little bit.

In the end I ended up removing the Spooky sticker and the bingo piece. I then downloaded some free vintage clip art and added that instead. I found the cute sentiment and added that as well. While browsing around at Hobby Lobby I found the perfect frame (which happened to be 50% off!) and once I made those changes I was a lot happier with the piece overall. I think that this is why I struggle with making videos. I change so many things around and go back and forth and let things sit for so long while I mull them over!



I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you do when you get stuck on a piece that doesn't feel right. Any suggestions on how you push through a creative block? Thanks for stopping by :)

2 comments:

  1. Its amazing what one can achieve. I have just coloured some material with pastel and am going to try using this on my Gelli plate and hopefully the print will achieve something

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see the result of that!! :)

    ReplyDelete