Thursday, March 6, 2014

Jewelry box

Hello there, Sanna here today! I am really proud to be able to be a part of the Frog Dog Studio team, and today I have the pleasure of sharing with you my very first kit projects. I will start with a jewelry box tutorial.

I started with the foil tape and first glued it on a piece of cardtock and then treated it with alcohol inks (Meadow, Currant and Mountain Rose). I let it dry before going over to the next step.

After the ink was all dry, I cut the excess paper off and placed the foil into a dry embossing folder and ran it thru my Big Shot maschine. 

After that I went and wiped the surface with black Archival ink for additional detail and let the piece dry. 
I wanted to have a similar look on the metal box, so I treated both the lid and the box with the same Alcohol ink colors.
After that I took out the rusting powder and some Glue n´ Seal, applied some white winegar in a spray bottle and started to treat corrugated cardboard and some metal and chipboard elements with it.  

First I applied the Glue n´ Seal with a paintbrush onto the metal pieces and before it was totally dry, poured some Rusting powder over the surfaces. 

 Next I dabbed off the residue powder and sprayed the surfaces with white winegar.
Now all I had to do was to leave it all to do its magic on its own - the instruction says it takes about 15 Minutes, until you start to see effects. I noticed that the parts with the thinner powder layer started rusting faster.  You don´t need to apply that much powder at all - a thin layer is enough.

I then repeated the same procedure with the chipboard elements and the corrugated cardboard.

I really liked the fact that the rust "bleeded" onto the paper underneath and actually used that paper on an other project later :). 
After the pieces were ready to be used, I started to decorate the box. I first cut the dry embossed foil tape piece to match the lid size, then glued a piece of corrugated cardboard over it and applied some Mantilla black over the surface for additional interest. 
Next I selected a clock sticker from the Tim Holtz Sticker book as a centerpiece for the lid, glued it onto a piece of cardstock to make it more stable, inked around the edges with black ink and added the big metal clip on the top. 

I then glued the clip onto the lid with tacky tape.
After that I just added some chipboard that I had treated with Lindy´s Stamp Gang mists, rusting powder and the paint dabber that was in the kit (Pebble) and glued them on their places. There is also a little sticker ticket and some silver yarn as additional decoration. And finally the sentiment metal labelon the top of it all.
Here are some detail photos: 


As you can see, I placed a thick foam piece into the box. It will hold the jewelry in place and keep it from getting scratched.

No comments:

Post a Comment