Thursday, February 13, 2014

Frog Dog Teams with Sin City Stamps : A Letter Journal to my Daughter



Hello fellow mixed media lovers, I am up today with a project highlighting both our 






Sometimes I  create for the sake of creating...it's an outlet, relaxing and satisfying...but often, I try to create projects that are lasting and with specific purpose...this project is the latter.

A Letter Journal to my Daughter:)



I started with this great Butterfly Mini Chipboard Journal from Sin City Stamps.  It came with 2 pieces of chipboard and several white pages (sturdy mixed media paper)  to go inside.

I covered the front and back of my journal (chipboard pieces) with black gesso, to allow a nice contrast for the Pan Pastels I would add.



I "inked up" the large Butterfly stamp from the set with Versa Ink from our kit, and pressed it onto the front piece.  Next, I used a small sponge applicator (our kit came with some of these) to brush on the Pan Pastel color.  I actually blended a white and blue to achieve a slightly lighter shade.

Below, you can see how you can blend colors right in the "pots", and when you are finished, simply wipe the colors with a clean applicator and your color is back to it's true shade. 

*To clean applicator simply rub a few times across a paper towel.  You will see the color stop coming off the applicator, and then you know its clean)



Above, you can see where I added more color on top for a bit of contrast.
I actually used a small dry paint brush for this, wiping the brush on a paper towel in between colors.

When you are finished adding color with the Pan Pastels, you can "set" the color with water, a fixative spray or even hairspray, to prevent the "chalk" from rubbing off.

Next I added some detail with a uni-ball signo pen in white. (flowers, butterflies, and sentiment)


AND...I used the Faber Castell White Gelato from our kit, to accent the journal's outside edges.


In order to make this piece more beautiful and durable, I added Amazing Clear Cast Resin.

Follow the products simple directions.  (Mix part A & B, stir and pour!)


I used a very small amount (about 1 tsp. of each part A & B) careful to stop slightly short of the very edge to prevent the Resin from flowing off the piece.

I used an old clean paint brush to spread the resin across the butterfly. After I was finished, I rinsed the brush in warm soapy water and in the morning my brush was good as new:)

I let the piece set overnight. 

I created the pages inside just like I did the cover. (minus the resin)


Versa mark, Stamp, Pan Pastel.


I blended the blue with a bit of white for a lighter shade like I did with the cover.


Once I created the background color, I wrote the "letter to my daughter" using a Scarlet Lime pen.




I added an extra large jump ring to hold the journal together, then added a charm, a key, 
and a few pieces of ribbon.






I just love this Butterfly Stamp set and Chipboard Journal from Sin City!  
They were perfect for this project.  

The sentiment around the front cover is one that is very special to me...

"Wired into a creature who looks nothing like a Butterfly, 
is the complete identity of a Butterfly!"

(just like the lack luster caterpillar whose true identity is the miraculous Butterfly...so are we created for so much more!)

If you are interested, I share the letter on my blog:)  It is personal to me, but contains general sentiments that are meaningful for "any daughter."

Hope you are inspired to create your own Letter Journal using some of these great products:


As always, it is a joy to share with you!

Sue





4 comments:

  1. This is utterly fabulous! What a lucky daughter you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue - this is a beautiful keepsake project! Your daughter will love this for years to come. Your clever "USE of your Tools" to put that finishing touch on the cover with the Amazing Clear Cast Resin is a stroke of genius. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sandra and Susan for taking the time to write such kind and thoughtful comments!! Made my day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is "WOW"-so heartwarming and beautiful! I'm going to try doing something similar to this for my mom. She'll love it!

    ReplyDelete