Friday, December 27, 2013

Gelli Prints + Viva Modeling Creme= Happy Holidays!!

Good morning! Today I wanted to share my tutorial on how to make a piece of holiday home decor using products from the December Frog Dog Studio kit.

To begin this project, I prepped the 6 x 6 sticky backed canvas from the kit using Silks, spray ink with a stencil, and alcohol inks.



Since I got my Gelli plate a few months ago, I've been addicted to making prints and hoarding them. For this project, I thought it would be fun to use them with a holiday spin. I selected a few prints and cut them into strips to form a Christmas tree. I attached them to the canvas with matte medium.


Since it's the holidays, I thought I would add some sparkle by covering the Gelli print Christmas tree with Viva Decor Glitter paste. When that was done, I did some shading around the tree with a grey Copic marker and then used some letter stamps and StayZ on ink to add the sentiment.



The next step was to create the larger canvas background. Using a 12 x 12 canvas board (which I really recommend for mixed media, as it's a harder surface and is easier to work on than a stretched canvas), I laid down a Heidi Swapp sunburst stencil and gently applied the pearlescent Viva Modeling Creme. The effect was really beautiful!



To finish the piece, I peeled off the sticky backed canvas with the Christmas tree and stuck it to the larger canvas in the middle of the sunburst. I also added some fun metallic sequin type embellishments to the tree for ornaments. They really shine!



And the finished product:

1 comment:

  1. Love all the different techniques you used! Pretty canvas!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete