Wednesday, May 14, 2014

#Cre8time Play with Pergamano...

Hello! Sandra Strait visiting again from the Amazing Crafting Products Creative Team to share another project made with the May Frog Dog Studio Kit and Amazing Crafting Products



I was thrilled when I opened the May kit. I've wanted to play around with the parchment pergamano technique. The kit included a Clearprint Vellum book which contains a form of parchment, so my chance had arrived!


The May Frog Dog Studio kit:
(1) Stampendous, n*studio stamp set, Wired
(1) Stencil Girl, n*studio, 6x6 stencil
(1) Clearprint, 6x8 Clear Vellum Field Book
(1) PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Paint, Pumpkin Soup
(1) PaperArtsy, Fresco Finish Paint, Beach Hut
(1) Imagine Crafts Fireworks Spray Mist, New Sprout
(1) Royal Langnickel Oil Pastel 12 piece set
(1) Prima Marketing Chalk Edger Ink, Pastel Peach
(1) Prima Marketing Chalk Edger Ink, Pastel Green
(3) Maya Road Metal Clips (random)
(3) Prima Wood Embellishments (random)
Valued at over $45

Amazing Crafting Products:
Amazing Mold Putty
Amazing Casting Resin
Alumilite Alumidust Powders - Gold, Cotton Candy, Lt. Green, Bright Blue

Parchment Pergamano Technique

Pergamano is essentially a dry embossing technique. Using instruments with rounded tips you press into the paper as though you were drawing. This embosses, pushes the paper out on the other side, turning it white.  I decided to gussy up the cover of the vellum book.

Stencils are often used as guides with pergamano so I decided to use the typewriter from the kit.


It's a bit difficult to describe the process so I'm going to start by showing you the finished embossing. The Clearprint Vellum book has two covers, one a heavier vellum (which is desirable for pergamano), and the other a slick cardstock with printing.


I placed the stencil on the back of the translucent vellum and ran my embossing tools in the open spaces so the raised surface would be on the front of the book.  Here you can see how the vellum turns white and is raised.


I used two different sized ball styluses for most of my embossing.  For the tightest, narrowest places I used the tip of a palette knife, and to even out the large areas, I used a pencil eraser.


When I was done, this is what the front cover looked like.


Creating Depth

Having two covers, one of them translucent, gave me the perfect opportunity to create even more depth. For this part of the project, I used both Fresco Finish paints, the Fireworks spray mist and the Chalk Edger ink in Pastel Peach, as well as the circle of dots stamp.


With a waterproof black pen, I sketched in the image of a piece of paper on the inside cover, and then painted around it with Beach Hut.


I inked up the stamp with Pumpkin soup and stamped circle all around the pages, keep the 'paper' clear.  I added a second layer of Beach Hut to the top portion of the page so there would be a 'wall' and a 'desk' area.


I always seem to forget to photograph at least one step, LOL. Laying the vellum cover down so I could see the stamped circles underneath, I took a waterproof black pen and outlined them. Then I turned the vellum over and used the pergamano technique to create white outlines.


With a red oil pastel, I colored on the back side of the vellum, leaving the embossed areas white. I used a paper stump to smooth out the color.


I spritzed the front of the vellum with the Fireworks spray.


And sponged on some Pumpkin Soup in some areas. I then wiped off most of the Pumpkin Soup so it just tinted most areas, except where the Clearprint logo was. I left it dark to help cover the logo, and to be the base for the dragonfly.


Gluing the Covers Together

Once everything was dry, I used a foam brush
to spread gel medium on the inside cover.


I pressed the vellum cover down to glue both covers together. While it was drying, I used the largest ball stylus tip to work beside the embossed areas so they'd be sure to adhere. I didn't apply too much pressure though, as I didn't want to leave marks.


I set the book aside and went to work on the 3D embellishments.

Creating the Dragonfly


For this part of the process, I used a mold that I had already created using Amazing Mold Putty (for more about that project, check out this post). I made a dragonfly knot with waxed thread, mixed even amounts of both putties, and pushed the putty around the knot, resulting in a shallow but nicely detailed mold.

To color the dragonfly, I brushed Alumidust Powders into the mold. 


I cast my dragonfly with Amazing Casting Resin, mixing equal amounts of Parts "A" and "B", and then stirring until all swirls were gone, about 2-3 minutes. I poured quickly – the resin will set within minutes.


My finished dragonfly glowed with color!


For the wire elements, I placed some gel medium and some Alumidust on my craft sheet, and dragged the wires through the gel first and then the Alumidust. I dabbed the gel medium on the wood pieces and used a paint brush to pick Alumidust and brushed it on.


All that left was to glue the dragonfly, wood and wire items onto the cover. Because both the resin and vellum have slick surfaces, I used E6000® glue to make sure they'd stick and stay on.

List of tools used:
  • E6000® Adhesive
  • Gel Medium
  • Waterproof black pen
  • 2 sizes Ball stylus
  • Palette knife
  • Pencil Eraser
  • Make-up sponge
  • Foam Brush
  • Paint Brush
  • Paper Stump

I hope you enjoyed my foray into Pergamano!



To explore all the products that are available,
please visit the Amazing Crafting Products website.

For more of my work in Amazing Mold Putty, Zentangle-inspired art, and daily links to tangles,
tutorials, and giveaways please visit my "Life Imitates Doodles" blog.Sandra Strait

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
...........................................

I invite you to check out the Amazing Crafting Products Blog for more mold-making and resin projects, tips and techniques.

2 comments:

  1. Sandra - this is a lovely project! I'm so intrigued by this old world technique that you have brought into our fun world of mixed media. I'm going to have to do the same with my vellum book, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great new technique for me! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete