Friday, December 13, 2013

Coastal Christmas Shadow Box and Splash of Color

Hello …Martha Richardson here to share some FYI on 2 of the fabulous products found in the Dec. Mixed Media Kit from Frog Dog Studio.

What are Luminarte SILKS Acrylic Glaze?
Iridescent
Semi transparent acrylic glaze paint
Vibrant colors

Use on many surfaces ~ wood, paper, canvas

EASY CLEAN UP with soap and water

66 Color choices and can be purchased by:
Individual wide mouthed 1oz. jars or
in sets.
            


Here’s a great description found on the website:
What makes Silks so special? 
It's the secret mix of mica and other proprietary mineral particles that refract light, like a crystal.

How do Silks work? 
Silks are easy to use paints that create a semi-gloss glaze - not too shiny, not too flat, but just right.
Simply brush Silks onto your project, using a wide brush for broad strokes or a fine brush for details. Or use a brayer if you want even wider swaths of color.
Allow Silks to dry between colors to keep the glaze layers distinct and create depth, or blend the colors while still wet if you prefer that effect.

What surfaces are suitable for Silks?
It's a long list. Silks are formulated for paper, wood, pre-washed fabrics, paper mache, acrylic and other plastics, canvas, gourds, silk and silk ribbon, terra cotta, paper-clay, air-dry clay, air-dry polymer, leather, faux leather, and more.

How long does it take for Silks to dry?
Silks have an extended open time to make them easy to use. They dry faster on paper and other porous surfaces, more slowly on non-porous materials. Thinner applications dry faster than heavier layers. Climate conditions are a factor as well.
Silks are fully cured after 48 hours.

I found another great article that you can read here.

Here is the project I created from the Dec. kit using the Luminarte Silks Acrylic Glaze. I've always wanted to create a coastal themed Christmas Shadowbox since I live close to the ocean.



To add texture TH Distress Crackle Paint was applied.

Getting ready to apply Silks Acrylic Glaze in African Jade.

Applied 2 layers of African Jade.

 Applied African Jade over Block Print letters I created from Grunge Letters and Shapes. 
Before adding color I applied a thing layer Of Viva Colour Modeling Paste in Pearl.

Viva Colour Modeling Cream Pearl applied to metal.
Before and after on metal sea shells.

Completed shells.

What is Viva Colour Modeling Cream?
 Creates SHIMMERING pearl or metallic 3-D effect.
Easy to Apply freehand with palette knife,
sponge or use with stencils.
Use on various materials:
chipboard
wood
glass
styrofoam
ceramics

Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate it especially during this Holiday season rush. I'll be back at the end of Dec. to share one more project.

I'd like to take a moment to wish all our readers a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays…which ever you prefer ;)













2 comments:

  1. This is really pretty! I guess I have never thought about doing a coastal Christmas theme but I live in snowy Vermont and have never had a coastal Christmas! I LOVE what you did with the SILKS and Viva Modeling Paste!! So unique but beautiful! Thank you for sharing with me! Also want to say thanks for the information on the SILKS and Modeling Paste! My husband made my dream of owning some SILKS come true today when he surprised me and told me to order not 1 or 2 of them but 10! Yes, I said T E N all at one time! I was like a kid in a candy store. I am still smiling! He chose to spend his Christmas Bonus on me because he loves me! He is a definite keeper! I figure I have kept him for 27 years so I might as well continue to keep him and it is moments like this that make me treasure him even more! Now I just have to wait for my order to come in! So hard to do!! I won't blather on any more but Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! the colours of the Silks are so vibrant! Love your project - brilliant idea to do a Christmas product inspired by the ocean and it's turned out beautifully :o)

    ReplyDelete