Monday, January 20, 2014

Love Your Neighbor...January Limited Edition Kit


Hello!  Today is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  My project's theme is the underlying message Dr. King lived his life proclaiming...
"Love Your Neighbor" 
Not just the neighbor living in the house next door, though that is a great start, but all people.
He ultimately gave his life for this cause and his message lives on.
In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the change he peacefully inspired...

Here is today's project tutorial using our January Limited Edition Kit


10x10 Plaid Wood Canvas Panel
12x12 The Crafters Workshop Stencil, Sweet Home
 Tim Holtz Ink Palette
Clearsnap Molding Mat, Table Cloth
Clearsnap Molding Mat, Little Love
Viva Colour Croco Crackling Color, Azure
Clearsnap Donna Salazar, Mix'd Media iNx Stamp Pad, Stormy
238ml Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso
 Color Factory Palette Knife Set
Prima Junkyard Findings, Industrial Lamps
 Clearsnap, Smooch Spray, Ginger Ale
 Clearsnap, Smooch Spray, Cherry Ice

I have had SOOOO much fun with this kit!  It would be hard to pick my favorite product, but a close tie would probably be the Croco Crackling Color and the Clearsnap Molding Mats.



I started by mixing the Super Heavy Gesso with black acrylic paint to achieve a first layer with plenty of texture. I used a palette knife to apply the tinted gesso to an 8 X 10 flat canvas board.

While the gesso was still wet, I used a Clearsnap Molding Mat to press in more texture.

These mats are really great...you can use them to create texture in clay, gesso, Amazing Crafting product's mold putty and more OR use them as stamps with ink!


Make sure you rinse the mats with water right away to assure easy clean up!

After the gesso dried, I decided I wanted a darker black color for the underneath layer that would show through the Crackling paint, so I brushed on some black ink similar to the Liquitex Acrylic Ink found in the other Frog Dog Studio January Kit.

Once dry, I added a heavy layer of the Croco Crackling Color.

HINT: the thicker you apply this, the more Crackle you will achieve.



I used the Clearsnap Molding Mat to apply more texture while the Crackling paint was still wet.



I really love all the texture achieved with all of these products!




Next I used the Phone Book Stamp found in the Exclusive Frog Dog Studio Communication Stamp Set, stamping it onto a piece of white card stock.  I cut it out, leaving about 1/4" border.

I stamped the phone book image again (on another piece of white card stock) using a permanent ink like StazOn because I knew I wanted to add lots of color over the top, 
and didn't want the stamped ink to smear.


I spritzed the JUICY Cherry Ice Smooch into the handy Tim Holtz Ink Palette, and then used a paint brush to color the heart.


I taped the white phone book piece to the painted canvas board with washi tape, & then adhered the heart with matte medium.


I used the adorable Crafters Workshop Stencil (Sweet Home) to add the sun, clouds and houses.

I "puffed up" the cloud with the Super Heavy Gesso and colored in the sun and houses with "watered down" paint, to allow the Phone Book Stamp to come through.

The white accents on the blue background were made with the Clearsnap Molding Mat, inked up with a Brilliance Ink Pad.


  


I added a little "doodle detail" with an XS Black Pitt Multi Liner Pen, and added dimension to the word cut outs with a black Derewent Inktense Pencil.

The words were stamped with the stamp set below


I found these on sale ($3.50 /half off!) at Jo-Ann Fabrics:)

I love the letter style and the price!

I know I say it all the time, but there is SOOOOO much product in our monthly kits...I find myself using so many things over and over.  The kits are such a great way to "build up your stash" and do so with the confidence, knowing that you are getting great tools and products with all the information you need to use them effectively!  I am always inspired by the other designers on our team, and Tina finds us THE BEST new products out there!  

(no standing at the craft store for hours wondering if you'll like a new product)

It is always a JOY to share with you!

Hope you enjoyed this project:)
Remember to Love Your Neighbor!

Sue

PS.  Stay tuned for our Genuinely Jane Blog Hop this week!
I'm excited to share my Children's Book and Mini Recipe Book!





6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too Dara!! What have you used the Croco crackle paint with?

      Delete
  2. I like this project! Best one I have seen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabriella, thanks for stopping by the blog! ...and thank you for your kind comments:) Makes my day!!

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful! I love all of the texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie!! You are such an awesome encourager!!

      Delete