Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Texture Tips with Melissa-Adding Texture to an Art Journal Coloring Page

Good morning! Melissa here with this month's texture tips. When I received this month's kit and saw the coloring pages from Catherine Scanlon I was totally excited. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of me and my grandma coloring together. She always had a good stash of coloring books at her house, plus the 64 count box of crayons with the built in sharpener! (fist pump!!)

Also included in this kit are the watercolors. I was looking at everything together and I decided to do different pages in different mediums. So for the first coloring page I used the watercolors for my main source of color. I added in the embossing powder to the middle of the flowers and some of the glitter (attached using the Glossy Accents from the kit). The embossing powder adds a nice, shiny texture to the page. And of course so does the glitter (plus it's just a really gorgeous color!)



Next I used the gel pens to add some accents. I used the green along the stems and the blue to fill in the dots. These pens also offer a smooth shiny texture.



As I was digging around in my stash I found a packet of words from Tim Holtz, so I used them to create a little phrase that I liked. I stuck them in the empty spot of the coloring sheet.



To finish, I cut around the edges of the page and found a background in my art journal that needed some help (ok, it was a really ugly epic fail page that I've always hated) and glued it down right over the top. Now it looks so much better :)



How do you cover up journal pages or mistakes that you make? I'd love to hear about it!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful page! love the idea of the glitter in the flower centres and sticking your new page right over the one you don't llike!
    When I hate a page, I just keep on adding stuff until I like it again but sometimes nothing can save it, in which case I tend to rip it out so it doesn't annoy me every time I look at it! But your idea is much better :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful page! love the idea of the glitter in the flower centres and sticking your new page right over the one you don't llike!
    When I hate a page, I just keep on adding stuff until I like it again but sometimes nothing can save it, in which case I tend to rip it out so it doesn't annoy me every time I look at it! But your idea is much better :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Annie! I have ripped out many a page in my journal too, you're not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete