Friday, June 14, 2013

How To Create a Mini Mixed Media Canvas

Hello everyone, Melissa here with a tutorial on how to create a mini mixed media canvas using items from our June kit.

Step 1-ink the canvas. I used Dylusions spray inks (Lemon Zest, Pure Sunshine, and Post Box Red) and the red alcohol ink from the kit, then used Ranger Alcohol Blending solution to let it all drip and run together. This product is great to use with the alcohol inks!

Step 2-Using the exclusive Frog Dog Studio stencil, I applied modeling paste with the edge of an old credit card to create a raised texture on the canvas.

Step 3-Thoroughly wet a paint brush with water and dip it into the Sparkling H2O. Cover the entire canvas. It colors the modeling paste nicely, and adds another layer of color to your background.

Step 4-Using the paper twine, secure the end on the back side of the canvas with a glue dot, then wrap it around the edge of the canvas a few times, ending at the back and securing that end with another glue dot.

Step 5-I created the flower using a technique learned from Christy Tomlinson. Take a coffee filter and use stencils and spray ink to add a pattern to it. Then, using gel medium (mod podge will not work for this) attach the coffee filter to a piece of foil. The foil is then moldable, which makes it really fun to work with. I cut the pieces into petal shapes and assembled them into a flower, using gel medium to attach it to the canvas. Then I took some of the paper twine and wound it into a circle to create the center of the flower.

Step 6-I tore off bits of the sewing pattern and attached those to the canvas for some added visual interest. I also added a little bit of stamping using a patterned stamp and StayZ on ink in black. I dotted on some of the Sparkling H2O on the sewing pattern to tie it into the background.

Step 7-While all of that was drying, I set it aside and started on the little easel. I used the blue alcohol ink to color the entire thing. One thing I love about alcohol ink is that it dries very fast. When that was done, I covered a small area with some white gesso. This is where I used some little letter stamps to stamp out a quote that I like. I am addicted to letter stamps, you can get them in all kinds of fonts and look great in your art journal.

And here is the final product and some close ups:



Thanks for stopping by! Melissa

11 comments:

  1. Wow...what a beautiful little canvas!! Love all the textures you acheived and thanks for showing how you did it!!! :) Evie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Are the letter stamps foam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! No, they are the cheap little Studio G stamps from Michaels. A dollar well spent! :) I highly recommend them.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Dawn! No, they are the cheap little Studio G stamps from Michaels. A dollar well spent! :) I highly recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your colors and the texture. I see that clothing patters are used a lot in mixed media. Are these patterns that you get in today's market or are they vintage patterns? Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! These sewing patterns are actually in the June Frog Dog kit :)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous canvas and you rocked that tutorial Somehow I missed that idea for the flower...now on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! I have a whole stack of these sheets in my stash now--so addictive!!

      Delete