Friday, June 28, 2013

From nothing to something...

Hello and Happy Friday!

Tina here today with a mixed media layout using items from the June kit. 

One of my favorite ways to create a scrapbook layout is by starting from nothing and ending with a mixed media project that is unique and one of a kind.  There is something exciting about adding paint, ink, ephemera, and little bits and pieces to a sheet of chipboard to create a fun, unique, and interesting background.  I will walk you through how I created this layout.


To start, find a scrap piece of chipboard, or use a standard 12x12 sheet of chipboard. 

You will also need the sewing pattern tissue paper and envelope from the kit.


Crinkle several pieces of the tissue paper and apply to chipboard with matte medium (or Mod Podge)




Dry completely.

Next, apply either spray Gesso or liquid Gesso to chipboard and dry completely.


Look at that fabulous texture the crinkled tissue paper creates.  This will look great when you apply paint and ink to the background.


Then liberally apply Twinking h20 watercolor paint (from the kit) to the background, allowing the paint to seep in and around the creases and folds.  You can also splatter drops of watercolor paint to the background and let the paint drip down the chipboard.


Once the watercolor paint is dry, using the Frog Dog Studio exclusive stencil, spray mist onto the background.


To finish the background, I added rips sections from the sewing pattern paper to the right side of the page by simply adhering the paper to the chipboard with my fingers and Gesso.  I wanted some of the words and design from the envelope paper to peek through, so I wiped off the Gesso to reveal the paper below. 

I then dripped several drops of blue alcohol ink to my craft mat and dipped my finger into the ink.  I smeared the alcohol ink onto the background and mixed some of it with Gesso to soften the color.

I also applied more watercolor paint and let it drip down the background.



To complete my layout, I applied Gesso to the wooden title and once dry, applied red alcohol ink. 


Lastly, I wanted to use some of the twine from the kit, but wanted a deeper blue, so I 're-colored' the twine with blue alcohol ink.  I stapled the twine to the background and added my photo and the layout was done!



Here are some close-ups of my layout.





Next time you want to create a layout entirely from scratch, pull out your Frog Dog Studio kit and create something fun, unique and one of a kind.  Be You!

Thank you for stopping by!  Enjoy your weekend and Happy Crafting!


1 comment:

  1. Great Tutorial Tina!!!!! He is such a precious pooch!! That pic of him - total personality shot!

    ReplyDelete