Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cuckoo for Steampunk and #Cre8time...


Hello creatives! Susan here dropping in with a special project from Amazing Crafting Products Creative Team today combining the Frog Dog Studio March Kit and Amazing Crafting Products – Partners "In-Crafting". I am totally Cuckoo for all things "Steampunk" and I also have an extreme sweet tooth of the marshmallow Peeps® variety. I have created an amazing whimsical timepiece combining both... and repurposing a glitter tray too!


For this I utilized many items from the March Kit: the larger {5" x 2" x 3.5"} tin; one 8x10 corrugated sheet; Lindy's Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mist - Golden Doubloons and Silhouette Silver; Adirondack Paint Dabber - Pebble; Jacquard Pinata Alcohol Ink - Mantilla Black; Clock Face from Tim Holtz Salvage Stickers - Lost & Found; Amazing Crafting Products resin nuts/bolts; and newsprint paper packaging material that came in the shipment. As you can see there is an assortment of molds and resin pieces from my stash; some recycled gears adhesive runners; a glitter tray and some misc metal findings and found objects from my stash... and my Amazing Crafting Products waiting in the wings. Not to leave you in suspense – the glitter tray will be repurposed to be the faux birdhouse backdrop for my Steampunk Cuckoo Clock.


Using the larger {5" x 2" x 3.5"} tin from the March kit, I had to have some holes drilled into the lid to accept the Walnut Hollow clock mechanism. This was the hardest part of the project, only because I had to use power tools {but totally so fun}. I figured the best way to mount this would be to the lid, so that when the battery dies, I could easily access it without having to take the whole thing down/apart.


One of my favorite techniques is to make faux leather paper from brown paper bags or recycled packing material paper – like the newsprint Tina packs into the kits to secure the items from swimming about. I mist it gently with water and crumple up until it's wrinkled to my liking.


I flatten out and mist with a little more water, then randomly
brush on the Pebble Adirondack Paint Dabber.


Next I layered the two Lindy's Shadow Mist Sprays. I repeated this a couple of times letting it dry a bit between applications. You don't want the paper completely soaked with liquid.


I wanted a little more contrast, so I brushed more of the pebble directly onto my recycled dry cleaning bag [makeshift spray booth}, misted with water then blotted the paper into it.


I wanted more of a distressed patterning, so I misted water onto the quickly drying paint, gently crumbled up the paper and blotted. MUCH BETTER! I opened and recrumpled to apply paint to different areas. Then I repeated with a little Brushed Pewter and Tarnished Brass Ranger Distress Paint misted to add a little more modeling to the color. I let dry for a few minutes


I sprayed one more layer of the Lindy's Shadow Mists then set to dry.


Close-up before completely dry.


Close up of completely dry paper – the color has intensified
and small distress tears are all over my sheet of hand-painted faux leather paper.


Before I cleaned this up, I also sprayed the corrugated sheet
with the Lindy's Shadow Mists then set to dry.


Then added some distressing with the Mantilla Black Jacquard Pinata Alcohol Ink. I used what was left on my cosmetic sponge and drybrushed the color to accent the raised edges.


Now I needed to make a couple molds of some items I wanted to use, but also wanted to be able to make again for other projects. These rusted corner protectors are from some sort of furniture - I've had these for years and this was the perfect project to give them a permanent home. Now combine equal parts "A" and "B" of Amazing Mold Putty together until there is no visible swirls and until it is a uniform yellow color. Shape into an oval and smooth out any finger prints or marks in the surface of the putty as that will become embedded in your mold image if left that way. Gently press item, face down into the mold putty and press into the ball while at the same time bringing up the sides to create a sidewall for resin to be poured. When you have it the way you like it and the desired depth, set it aside to cure for 10-15 minutes.


Now I prepared all of these items to apply to my Cuckoo Clock – but in the end less was more and they didn't get used. Using a cosmetic sponge, I applied Mantilla Black Jacquard Pinata Alcohol Ink to all of my plastic recycled pieces and mismatched colored resin dominos and hardware. Then I sprayed with a generous amount of both Lindy's Shadow Mists then set aside to dry.


The metallic colors really pooled up nicely to give a nice patina when dry.


Using double sided adhesive tape - I cut strips for the edges of the tin base and lid,
and a retangle for the top of the tin lid. Remove the backing and apply... easy peasy!


Now for the birdhouse back, I opted for 3M spray adhesive. More agressive and permanent for adhering varying surfaces. I wrapped the edges around the sides and secured with eyelets using my Crop-A-Dile. I mouted the clock mechanism to the lid following the easy instructions and added my clockface sticker before adding the hour/minute/second hands. The edging is a metal frame from my stash secured with brads. Using some heavy duty foam tape adhesive, I have mounted the whole clock tin to my faux corrugated birdhouse.


Now for a few extra embellishments. I have a mold of chicken feet from a wind-up toy, and the two gear/button assemblies I molded earlier in the post. I've dusted the mold with Alumilite Gunmetal and Gold Metallic Powders which helps ease in release from the mold, plus it gives a metallic patina to the Amazing Casting Resin piece. Combine equal amounts of Amazing Casting Resin parts "A" and "B". Pour in a separate container to mix thoroughly and it will go from cloudy to clear when completely combined. 



The Amazing Casting Resin during the flash process
of turning opaque white as it cures.


Now for finishing touches... I have WAY more items to adhere than can possibly fit... so some editing was in order. I added some other metal hardware, added feet and winged-up my cast resin Peep® sprayed with the Lindy's Shadow Mists. 


The resin layered gear assemblies and one bolt finishes the top {I like clusters of three}.


My original RUSTY found furniture protectors are perfect escutcheons for my clock.
I also used ball chain to hang some findings from the bottom.


On one side is a rusty found wrench and the other item, my cast resin wishbone cluster
from my favorite handmade necklace... I can always make another... and I will!

Steampunk Cuckoo Clock!


I am going to permanently display this in my studio where it can inspire me daily!

Thanks for dropping by and checking out my project today!
You can find more of my work at the Amazing Crafting Products Blog
~ Susan M. Brown {sbartist}

11 comments:

  1. Um, a cast resin PEEP?!?! I'm in love. What an inspiring project, Susan, wow, thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You simply amaze me. I love what you did here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Susan!!!! You are the master of Amazing Mold Putty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I just love how you made this tin a clock!! Of course! What a cool project! VERY inspiring to all:) I especially like to see someone else's black fingers for a change:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Susan! Can I borrow some of your idea's...heehee..Totally cool my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE love LOVE this!!! I really have got to get some more putty. . . I see all the cool stuff you have made molds for (like the gears) and I think that will help my "I can't use this 'cause I only have one" syndrome. . . <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited!! Mists and paints and blue fingertips....WONDERFUL inspiring photographs and your steampunk clock is OUTSTANDING!! Thank you for all the wonderful links and fabulous ideas. This is gorgeous what you created!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is just stellar!!! love your project!!! so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Amazing project--love it!! Your molded pieces are stunning :)

    ReplyDelete